Wednesday 26 January 2011

One Banana, Two Banana, Three Banana, Four ......

Banana Muffins

There must be a knack to great food photography, I'm afraid I don't have it but you get the idea.

Today I decided to attack my collection of frozen bananas.  Freezing bananas was a fairly recent discovery.  The moment they start to go too black for the children to want to eat I pop them in the freezer for a future baking project.

We nearly always turn the old bananas into banana bread (I put rum in mine!).  Today I wanted to try something different.  So I baked a batch of healthy banana muffins for the children's lunchboxes - very quick & very easy.

Banana Lunchbox Muffins
125g wholemeal flour (sifted)
125g plain flour (sifted)
2 tsp baking powder
100g dark sugar
a handful of raisins
100ml of any oil with little flavour
4 bananas (mashed)
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
2 tbsp milk

Heat the oven to 180C (gas 4) & line a muffin tin with muffin cases.

Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl & all the wet ingredients in another.  Then quickly fold all the wet ingredients into the dry.  Divide the mixture between the muffin cases, filling them to the top (I filled 10 cases).  Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.  Leave to cool.

If you have any seeds you could always add these into your mixture, sprinkle on top, or both.

We also managed to knock out a banoffee pie (this doesn't work with frozen bananas as they're too mushy, but great for the bananas just on the turn!).  We've still got a few frozen ones leftover for smoothies!

No comments:

Post a Comment