Friday 28 October 2011

I Love Autumn

I absolutely love this time of year.  I love seasons, which is probably why I love this country so much but I particularly love Autumn.  So, in honour of Autumn I am going to write a list of how I'm going to appreciate the season.

Autumn

1. Autumnal walks & picnics (kicking leaves & making fairy houses in the woods!)
2. Wear (& maybe invest in new) cosy jumpers - I've got my eye on this one
3. Socks - wellie socks, bed socks, walking socks
4. Pots of tea & homemade shortbread (see recipe below), whilst snuggled up in a blanket on the sofa in front of Downton

I love this shortbread mold found here
Shortbread

140g plain flour
25g rice flour
50g caster sugar
100g soft butter
1 tbsp sugar (for sprinkling)

Preheat oven to 140*C
Mix the flours together.  Add the sugar.  Then mix in the butter until the mixture comes together.  I use my electric mixer but you could use your hands.
I then empty the contents into a round loose bottom 7"cake tin & press it down until it's smooth.  You could go around the edges with a fork & prick it with holes.
Bake for 50-60 minutes or until firm & pale golden in colour.
Leave in the tin to cool but cut it into slices & sprinkle with sugar before it cools.

I think this is a Rachel Allen recipe.


5. Pubs & log fires (find a new cosy pub - any recommendations for child & dog friendly ones?)
6. Halloween - decorate the house, make some treat jars for the kids & try some new pumpkin recipes
7. Bonfire Night - enjoy mulled cider & sparklers outside in the cold with friends
8. Do something creative - although realistically this may not happen, pottering in the kitchen usually takes over
9. Sausages & homemade chutney
10. Visit Westonbirt Arboretum - autumn is the best time
11. Home baked bread (my husband bought me a bread maker for my birthday & I love it!)
12. Make a new compote for my morning porridge

No comments:

Post a Comment